Thursday, May 17, 2007

Lessons learned from canada geese

This morning I was working at a property along the shores of Lake Pend Oreille. The snow covered peaks of the Cabinet Mountains stood like sentinels over the valleys . Emerald green waves lapped quietly at the shore. Peaceful! Suddenly I was visited by the transient neighbors. I sometimes envy them as they make their summer home on this beautiful lake. God provides food for them and they often go south for the winter. They are canada geese; several pairs showed up with about 50 goslings.

As I watched them I thought about what they can teach us on marriage and raising a family. Canada geese mate for life. They don't fight or get divorced and always watch out for each other. As parents, they are very protective of their young. Females often take care of other goslings in the area. I noticed the young dutifully followed the adults. There was dicipline amoung the younsters.

Wouldn't it be nice if people could do the same. God put the same love those geese have for each other in humans too. God formed us to be loving and devoted to our spouses and to raise up children of character.

Larry

1 comment:

live love laugh hope said...

Thanks for modeling that life, dad!!! You taught us how important it was to be a person of character. You have always been very protective of your family and you have loved us and been very devoted to mom for the past 42 years. I'm honored to have you for my dad. I'm very proud of you and I'm thankful that you are a man of God, a man of your word, and someone who is always there for us.