Friday, May 25, 2007

Heros

As a young boy my heros were Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, and Davy Crockett. As I grew older, I realized heros were ordinary people doing extra ordinary things. My Dad was my hero. He only had an eighth grade education yet people from our community sought his advice and counsel. His flower gardens were award winning quality. Another hero was my Grandpa Swartz who was a large framed man of quiet demeanor. He played a mean game of checkers and the first time I beat him at checkers, I knew I won fair and square. He still remains large in my life. My father-in-law was my hero. His body was inflicted with arthritic pain yet he had a smile and never complained. Heros are made not born.

Some of my more recent heros are men like Clebe Mc Clary, a Vietnam Marine whose body was shattered by a grenade and was never supposed to walk but who has not only walked but is a runner! He is a patriot and a warrior for Jesus. The five men I meet with each week that are my band of brothers are my heros. Without them I would not be growing and changing.

Anyone in the military is a hero. They put it on the line for us daily. One of them is Marine Terry Dunn who was injured in Iraq and is back serving his country. Another hero is Sgt. Brandon Adam who lost both legs in an explosion in Iraq. He is a fighter and God will raise him up to be a great man. HE WILL WALK AGAIN.

Heros live by Phillipians 4:13. I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

Larry

No comments: