Saturday, May 26, 2007

Freedom Requires Sacrifice

Our country seems to forget the blood that has been shed to keep us free.Wars need to be run by generals not politicians. We are in a battle against an satanic evil force. The apostle Paul said it very clearly in Epesians 6:12. Our country has strayed away from God and he will not bless us until we ask forgiveness and seek to follow Him.

This weekend , I remember two uncles I had that fought in World War II. One was Donald Book who spent the war fighting in the Philippine jungles. He never said much about the war but after his death I received his bayonet. Recently I took it out of the original leather sheath and studied it. The knife blade had black pockets in the metal. They didn't have stainles steel knives then. I realized that the marks were made from blood that will eat small pockets in metal if it isn't cleaned immediately. I suddenly was aware that I was holding a piece of history. History hidden in the knife that I will never know. The other uncle was Donald Swartz who was in the navy in the north Atlantic. He was lost overboard and his body never recovered. I have some dark blue navy issued pants that were his. Again a part of history.

I thank my uncles for their sacrifices so I was allowed to grow up in a free country. I thank all our military for the job they are trying to do.

ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL

2 comments:

Dwayne K. Parsons said...

Hey, this is just a wonderful site! Pleases my soul to find this link to the outdoors. Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Good word, brother! Since I've been in youth ministry, there has been a growing awareness that the further we drift away from "THE GREATEST GENERATION" the more we lose the character that made them great. I, too, am increasingly grateful for the sacrifices they made. My dad was a WWII vet, too.