Saturday, March 6, 2010

Gathering Up Treasures

A few days ago I went treasure hunting at the driftwood yard on the east end of Lake Pend Orielle. Now the treasures weren’t gold or silver, they were driftwood pieces that I can use in my carving. You know the saying that one man’s junk is another’s treasure. I had a man stop me one day a few years ago and wonder what I was going to do with the pick up load of old wood. I look for unique pieces that will be used to put trout on and sometimes root wads that I can turn into tables. Many other people also comb this area every fall when the lake is drawn down so I often end up scouring the most remote areas. I also look for juniper to carve beautiful red trout but never find too many pieces.

The time goes by too fast when I’m there. This time of year the area is filled with migrating waterfowl so swans and geese are calling the whole time I’m looking for wood. Sometimes eagles fly over stirring up hundred of ducks and great blue herons perch on old pilings soaking up the sun’s warmth. It is a peaceful setting that draws me back every year.

Jesus taught in Matthew 6:19 that we should not store up treasures on earth because they are only temporary. He said store up treasures in Heaven that are eternal. Then Jesus cut to the quick and said our treasures will reveal where our heart is. This is a good place for us to take an inventory of our personal and spiritual life.

Jesus went on to say we can not serve two masters. Too many people, including Christians try to serve both. Just look what a mess our country is in. Jesus went on to finish this lesson by stating we can not serve both God and Money. The reason Matthew capitalized money was because Jesus was using it in the same way he addressed Satan. Money by itself is neutral but we elevate it above God. People in our nation found out in the last two years that money is easy to lose; it provides a false security. The only security we have is in God’s promises.

We need to humble ourselves before God and get down on our knees and pray. He promises to bless any people that do this. Again I stress that God has always wanted a relationship with his people. At first it was the Jews but because of Jesus victory over the grave God wants a relationship with all people. It is a free gift that is priceless, an eternal treasure.

No comments: