Thursday, June 21, 2007

Stand Firm- Resist the Lion

I have never been face to face with an African lion but I have been nose to toe with a mountain lion. His nose , my toe. One weekend Ardella and I went camping and took our three llamas along. We were in mountain lion country so that night I tied the llamas close to the tent so we would hear them if something came in camp. The night passed quietly. The next morning I took them about 100 feet away so they could eat grass along an old logging road. While we were fixing breakfast, one of the llamas gave an alarm call and continued to tell me he was upset. I walked down to see what the noise was all about thinking a moose may have wandered by and frightened them. I remember walking right past my 12 gauge shotgun that stood against a big hemlock tree. I could see the black llama was very upset and looking into the small creek that flowed by our camp. I had one llama tied up close to the creek so I went over to Jeffrey and looked around to see what was wrong. There was a steep bank covered with alder brush just 10 feet from Jeffrey and I walked over to the edge and looked down. At first I wasn't sure what I was seeing- a long tail flicking back and forth. Then a body started to take shape and I was looking into the big yellow eyes of a cougar just inches away from my feet. I looked again in disbelief and glanced at the shotgun under the tree. I knew better than turn and run as either Jeffrey or me would be attacked. I started to remove my hunting knife from the sheath when my son-in-law yelled down and asked what was wrong. I said "Cougar" very loud and it slowly turn and walked away. Now that will get your blood pumping ! I knew that I had to stand firm and resist the lion.
1 Peter 5:8 say be alert, our enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking to devour someone. Resist him by standing firm in the faith. That isn't easy unless we have already put our faith in Jesus Christ. We can stand firm knowing that Jesus paid the price for us , for everyone, on the cross. Christians today must realize that we are in a spiritual warfare and the devil is alive and devouring people at an astonishing rate. We need more Warriors! God hates luke warm and that is where most of the church is today.

We can stop the lion in its tracks with the name of Jesus. He will flee as he has no power under the name of Christ. Where are you at ? Will you be ripped apart piece by piece or will you call on the name of Jesus and resist. Stand firm.

No comments: