Saturday, June 23, 2007

Off The Map

I received a GPS unit for Father's Day ; now that is pretty high tech for an old hunter like me. I can actually turn it on ! The program for best hunting and fishing times has been my favorite so far. I hope it is more accurate at the best hunting times than it has been for fishing. I will use the sunrise and sunset tables and the elevation the most. I must learn to mark my truck during elk and deer hunting in case I travel farther than I plan and it gets dark.

I am blessed with a good built in compass and usually remember all the turns I make in the mountains. But I can get totally lost in a shopping mall. I once was lost for a half hour in a Sears store. No trees ! I kept going in circles.

One year we were elk hunting in the Clearwater Region of Idaho and decided to build a camp fire as it was a nice October evening with millions of stars that seemed to be just above the tree tops. We were recounting the day's hunt when across the river a truck slowly made it's way down winding steep mountain road. A few mintutes later it pulled into our camp and two men got out ; one holding a Forest Service map said "We are off the map". Their map was of the St. Joe region about 50 miles away. They were definitely off the map. Compounding that problem was they were low on gas and we didn't have any to spare. I told them Superior, Montana was about 45 miles away and most of that was downhill. Then I showed them on our map how to go to St. Regis and connect with a road that would take them back to their camp. The driver didn't like my idea but the other guy thought they should take the road to the gas station. They got back into their truck and disappeared into the night. Several minutes later we saw the truck's tail lights as they headed back up the same steep old road. We have often wondered about how far they got and how long it took them to find their camp.

We often get off the map spiritually too. In John 14:6 Jesus tells us He is the only way. That means we need to keep our eyes and thoughts on Him to get through this life . There is no other way; no other savior of this world. He is our peace of mind , our strength, and our refuge. He is not a religion, He is a relationship. We can talk to Him any time and He will be there to listen . I believe in John 14:6; there is no other way to obtain eternal life except by His grace and love for us. The religions of this world can't get us eternal life.

Where does your spiritual compass point? Is your GPS unit set on Christ as the home way point? Are you like the two hunters and completely off the map? Jesus is waiting for you to program Him into your everyday life. There is nothing you have done that He won't forgive.
Trust Him!

No comments: