Saturday, April 1, 2017

Seasons of Change

Solomon wrote in chapter three of Ecclesiastes that everything has a season, a time of purpose under heaven. We go through many seasons in life and some can be painful and unexpected.  Solomon went on to write that there is a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance. He is telling us that every season will change some day and each season is temporary.

Last Sunday afternoon I experienced a painful season change that came as a total surprise.  I was called by a man in my Bible study; someone I have known for twenty five years in which we have prayed together, cried together, and laughed together.  A man I considered a close brother.  He told me we can't be friends anymore or have any contact with each other because of his wife.  The problem is that he accepted Jesus as his savior but she hasn't and has made his life a living hell.  I was so shocked by his announcement that my only reply was I loved him as a brother and would pray for him and the call ended. 

Two of the other men in our small band of brothers received a similar call that he wouldn't be in the study any longer because it upset his wife, but for some reason they are allowed to have contact with him.  This perplexes me even more. 

My hope is that he doesn't deny Jesus  and go back to his old self.  Jesus talked about the cost of discipleship which is denying self, take up our cross, and follow Him.  It is going to be painful at times.  Jesus said " what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses his soul." 

This I know; when God shuts one door another one will open.  A season closed for me but a new and exciting season is just beginning. 

No comments: