Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Day at Moose Lake

My son-in-law, Vance and I went to Moose Lake which sets near the Montana border above Clark Fork, Idaho. Vance rode his horse Amos while I elected to walk in with Sadie as we both could use the exercise. Archery season is about six weeks away and I need to get my climbing legs in shape. The trail to Moose Lake is a gradual two mile uphill climb through spruce timber. Sadie and I took off while Vance saddled Amos and we had the trail all to ourselves. The dark spruce trees stood like stately spires pointing toward Heaven while numerous wildflowers bloomed on the forest floor. There was bright yellow arnica along the path’s edge and beautiful white plumes of bear grass flowers that are so delicate and sweet smelling. Moose tracks were prevalent on the trail but fortunately we didn’t encounter any of the huge animals. I wondered how many tourists meet these sometimes short tempered creatures and have to abandon the trail.


Sadie and I arrived at the lake and I took in the beautiful scenery of crystal clear waters with trout rising to catch insects and rugged forested ridges surrounding this magnificent creation. A cow elk was feeding in an open area above a rock slide and I watched her for about a half hour before she turned and went into the brush. The cow probably had a calf hid there from predators. Sadie soon was wading in the lake and wanted me to throw a stick for her to retrieve. It has been a while since Sadie had gone swimming so she enjoyed the water.

Shortly after Vance and Amos arrived so did some families. Everyone enjoyed the spectacular scenery. Vance caught several trout but released all of them so someone else could catch them another day. On our way down we met two families headed in with fishing poles and told them the trout were biting.

I thank God for the wonderful creation he made in North Idaho with so many majestic places reflecting his glory. It got me wondering how many people visit Moose Lake but don’t see the majesty of God’s creation. He made these wonderful areas just for us. I’m afraid too many people worship the creation instead of the Creator. On the way down the trail I stopped to closely examine how intricate God made the bear grass flower which is really a cluster of hundreds of small white flowers that form a beautiful white plume. Then I thought how wonderful He made each one of us.

No comments: