Thursday, January 10, 2008

Out The Back Door

The world seems peaceful and serene in the back yard as the snow has now piled up about three feet deep. There are a maze of deer trails in the white blanket where they feed on the corn I put out everyday. Several deer now feed every night; some arrive before dark. I have been cutting the tops off the high bush cranberries so they can eat the red berries as the birds don't seem to like them. I tried one and they are very tart.

The peace of the yard has been turned into a scene of terror by a winged predator. I have been finding dove feathers and the birds are often perched in the tree tops looking for this killer. Sunday afternoon I found a fresh pile of feathers and after searching the trees found a sharp shin hawk perched in a cottonwood . I threw snowballs at it and clapped my hands but the hawk would not leave. So I went in and got the 22 rifle and placed a shot about six inches from the bird and it quickly left. I wouldn't mind if it ate a few of the starlings but doves seem to be the daily cuisine. At this rate the forty doves won't last long. War has entered the peaceful life of the doves.

The drama unfolding in the back yard is similar to our lives. The book of Peter says Satan is like a roaring lion going around devouring people and destroying lives. Satan hates God and will do anything to keep us from having a relationship with the Father. Prayer is the best defense we have to thwart the devil's plans when he attacks. He flees at the name of Jesus. Jesus defeated him with an empty tomb and promises to come back again and personally throw him into the lake of fire. In the mean time we are to pray and pray and pray. God will hear us!

No comments: